Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So, my nephew was baptized a week ago.

It was a great family event - with my sister Marlo and my Brother-in-Law Dean being phenomenal hosts (yet again).

Despite the great after-party and celebration, the best part of the day was when I was able to hold my nephew (who I was honoured to be asked to be Godfather to) when he was being anointed. Now, having three nieces, I have become quite comfortable with kids and holding them and whatnot. Yet, being able to hold my nephew during this was something that filled with me with an immense amount of pride. There was a time four years ago, when I was asked to be my niece Hannah's Godfather, that I held a child like an ancient Roman would hold a cell phone - I didn't hate it, but I just didn't get it. Many visits, time spent doing puzzles, playing hide-and-seek, watching Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs and visits to Walmart have happened since that time that allowed me to play a better role in this Baptism.

Granted, the little guy slept through the ENTIRE thing (with the exception of a brief, almost-annoyed, expression when the water was poured over his noodle), but it was an experience that left me on a mini-high and is something I will always take from the day.

In addition to the reward of being physically involved in the ceremony, this event gave me a greater sense of responsibility towards my nieces and nephews. Experiencing an event when the entire family is present, as part of a greater community, reminds me of how the the village truly raises the child. This gives me a greater motivation to be a better example, to live a little bit better and to always be an uncle my nieces and nephews can be proud of. I do not want to inadvertently say or do something that they may pick up on. I want to be aware of my actions and words - so that I can positive shape their future. It is obviously not my entire responsibility to shape the moral foundation of my nieces and nephews, but I can do my part - and last week reminded me that I can always do it a little bit better.

So, all-in-all, it was a great day - and I was proud to have been a part of it. Here are some pics:











Peace,
SP

0 comments: