Friday, August 20, 2010

The other night I was hanging out with my little sister and I had planned a night of fun, inexpensive activities for us to do. Being a big sister and having to plan weekly activities has really made me take a detailed look at all the great things that Sarnia, Lambton has to offer. I am finding that during the summer there are lots festivals, shows and out door eateries available, you sometimes just need to look a little closer to find them.

So I have recently been visiting the County of Lambton Website, The Sarnia Tourism Website and even the local radio station website, to see what I can find for me and my little sister to enjoy for little to no cost. Last week I had planned for us to have dinner at Purdy’s Fisheries, a walk through the Gallery Lambton and then a stroll down to the Library on Christina Street to pick up some carefree summer reads.

I had never been to Purdy’s and I find it exciting to try new restaurants. The fish was awesome! We ordered perch and pickerel and shared so we could try both kinds of fish. The weather was wonderful that night and we were lucky enough to get a seat right next to the water. There was lots of traffic on the river; I never sees to be amazed by the gargantuan size of the ships that travel the St. Clair river.

Next we were headed to Gallery Lambton. On our way there, we noticed the antique car show going on in Centennial Park so we decided to take a walk through the park. Arriving at the art gallery we found our selves alone to enjoy the art. A Gallery Lambton employee joined us shortly after we went in. He asked if we would like him to tell us about some of the art.

The man explained that the current show was a display of art work owned by Gallery Lambton and that what we were seeing was only a small portion of art owned by the Gallery. He toured us around the art gallery explaining how some of the art work had come to be part of this collection.

There was art from the Group of Seven, new art from local artists and pieces that had found themselves in the possession of Gallery Lambton without any records.
I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the history of the artwork and the stories of its purchasers. When the man left me and Belinda to walk around on our own, we took turns guessing what some of the abstract art was.

Shamefully I will admit this was only my second visit to Gallery Lambton. Learning the history of the art work gave me a greater appreciation for how important the Gallery Lambton is to the heritage of Sarnia, Lambton. I am going to make an honest effort to visit more frequently.

Lastly we found ourselves at the library. I love the library! I love the smell of the books and I like the quiet noise. My little sister and I set off into our desired library sections and began the hunt for our next great read. I found Tori Spelling’s new book “Uncharted TerrriTori” and my little sister found a few vampire mysteries. We spent some time just hanging out reading the beginning of our books until they announced that the Library would be closing.

As we walked down Christina Street on the way back to my car I reminisced about the events of our night. I couldn’t help but think that I don’t really savor all that Sarnia Lambton has to offer. I am going to start now though. I think part of the reason is because, this is where I live and I drive by the same things every day. I don’t always SEE what’s around me but from now on I am going to start looking a little harder.

0 comments: